1 v. 1 Basics
- 2 players play 1 v. 1 inside a grid.
- Players outside the grid assist the practice, inserting balls when
they go out and encouraging their teammates to work harder.
- Rotate new players every 2 minutes or so.
Try This Progression
- Attacking player tries to 'get behind' the defender wherever they are
in the grid.
- Defender tries to gain possession of the ball.
- This is a continuous flow game, never stopping. If the attacker beats
t defender, they immediately try to face the defender and beat the
- Play where the attacker tries to stop the ball on the endline.
- Play a game with goals on the endlines to shoot through.
- Keep balanced, short steps, knees bent.
- Always try to face defender, and take them on.
- Shield ball for possession, sideways on.
- When taking players on, drive towards leading foot. First fake the
- When attempting to face defender, make a 'self-pass' to get away.
- Keep balanced, short steps, knees bent, never square to attacker.
- Try to channel attacker towards sideline.
- Tackle after touch is made.
- Don't lunge.
- Angle of approach, speed of approach.
- Make play predictable.